Greenwich
North Fairfield
Wakeman
Willard

With locations in:

Enterprise Catalog

  

Follow Us!

News Stand

Greenwich
December January
North Fairfield
December January
Wakeman
December January
Willard
December January

     

Online Resources!

 

Online Payments

 

 

 


Material Fee

General Fees
Select One


Donate to Library

Staff Intranet Portal

Railroad Photos

Historical Railroad Photographs
from the Willard, Ohio Area
Click on Picture to Enlarge, then Ctrl - (Minus) Reduce, Ctrl + (Plus) Enlarge

 

1938 portrait of Daniel Willard, president for many years of the B & O Railroad.  In 1918 Chicago Junction was renamed Willard in honor of Daniel Willard.

No. 4000 Hump Engine, yardmaster, clerk and crew, 1918.

 

 

Historical "Tom Thumb" locomotive, a reproduction brought into Willard for a special celebration in 1925.

No. 4000 Hump Engine and yard crew, CA 1912.

Engine No. 1162 and crew, 1906.

 

Another view of the "Tom Thumb" locomotive.

B & O Scene at Chicago Junction in 1914.

Roundhouse at Chicago Junction train yard showing hand operated turntable, 1914.

"New" B & O turntable built 1926 to replace a previous hand operated one at the Willard roundhouse.

Wreck of Sandusky-Newark Div. between Havana and Monroeville CA 1908.  Note that they must have not been as worried about liability with the children playing on the wreck.

B & O engine No. 4479 Mikado type engine.  Later the name was changed to McCarther type, no doubt due to WWII with Japan.  It was one of the main stays of the freight fleet of steam power used on the B & O railroads up until the 1950s.

Both old and new locomotives with the Round House in the background at the Willard B & O train yard in 1938.

This is Camelback Engine No. 542, built in the early 1870s and being used in Havana, Ohio to switch cars.  The locomotive is on the main track with three other yard tracks next to the main.  This 1870s picture shows the water tank built around the boiler top, thus its name, Camelback.  Note the large whale oil head lamps, the flared smokestack, the steam dome with whistle and lever fastened directly to the dome.  The wood box containing the fuel for switching or very short trips.  For longer trips, a car loaded with wood to supply the engine would be needed.  This engine was junked in 1895. 

An old four wheeled caboose on the caboose track at Willard probably in the early 1900sThe crew was cleaning house in their home away from home, plus doing a little fooling around.  The man wearing the lampshade was "Monty" Weaver, the father of Earnest Weaver and the grandfather of George "Monty" Weaver.  George worked in the Post Office instead of railroading.

1891 picture of one of the "high wheeler" engines of the era.  Note that the drivers are at least as high as a man's head.  The engineer (dressed in white) was killed in 1892 when one of the driving arms came off and whipped up into the cab.  The wood cab was nearly cut in half.  The engineer, Walter Bramble, is buried at the Steuben Cemetery.

Engine 6152, 1934Engine 6152, 1934

B & O Engine 6152 and crew at the Willard train yard inspection pit, March 16, 1934.

Old B & O ice house where ice cut in Sandusky bay was stored.  CA 1910.

Locomotive No. 5344, 1908Locomotive No. 5344, 1908

Locomotive No. 5344 of the New York Central , later the A C & Y, at Plymouth, 1908.

"Mother Hubbard" Locomotive, 1904"Mother Hubbard" Locomotive, 1904

An unusual locomotive, the "Mother Hubbard", CA 1904.  Note the water tank built into the rear with the fireman's station also at the rear and the engineer cab near the center.  The fireman had to climb along the engine to get to the engineer.  Also note the unusually large counterweights on the drive wheels.

       Front Street Train Wreck, 1923       Front Street Train Wreck, 1923

This wreck on the Front Street overpass almost dumped one car on the street.  The young lady at the left with the typical "flapper" outfit, short skirt [for that era], and bobbed hair, fixes the time at about 1923.

        Yard Inspectors, 1934        Yard Inspectors, 1934

Yard Inspectors in Feb., 1934.  The Railroad had many crews such as this group and was once the largest employer in Willard. Because of automation, employment is only a fraction of old days even though the yard itself is still very large. If you click on the picture for enlargement, names are listed above the picture.

Ladies Engine Cleaning Crew, 1940sLadies Engine Cleaning Crew, 1940s

Ladies engine cleaning crew of the Willard train yard from the 1940s.  From left to right, Loretta Webb, Margie Fox, Bettie Owens, Mary Lee Burton, Georgia Lykins, and Arlene Backensto. This photo and the one to the right, were donated to the Library in memory of Jim Hinebaugh who worked for the Railroad for many years.

Ladies Cleaning Crew, #2, 1940sLadies Cleaning Crew, #2, 1940s

Another ladies engine cleaning crew from the 1940s.  Ladies were often hired during the war years to work in what had been a men's domain.  Bottom row: Rosie Slotterer, Peggie Slotterer, Mary Lee Burton.  Middle: Betty Owens.  Top row: Ila Post, Unknown [back of picture says "Me"], Gladys Arndt, Mary [Arndt?], and Mary Grama (foreman).

B & O scene at Chicago Junction in 1914 showing the coal tipple and ash pit crane.

PLEASE NOTE

These copyrighted historical photographs are the property of Huron County Community Library. These photographs may be downloaded for personal use only and may not be used for commercial purposes.